Ageing is the fact of life, we can’t spurn it, but looking your age can be turned down by taking care of yourself both physically and mentally. Getting one more year older with each passing year is inevitable, however we all desperately want to hold over the signs of ageing as far as feasible.
Ageing is inevitable!
Don’t you want to have a wrinkle free flawless skin, obviously who doesn’t?
By taking good care of yourself you can control how you age. Self care is the best gift anyone can give to oneself. As looking young is about taking care of yourself inside and out.
No doubt everyone wants to keep wrinkles at bay. You can achieve this by considering few lifestyle changes like-
- Skin care
- Taking care of physical and mental health
- Revamp your appearance
1. Skin care
skin care is significant in defying ageing. As we age our skin’s restorative capacity and cell turnover ratio declines, that’s why it’s important to look after your skin. After a certain age we all witness apparent skin issues like- dry skin, wrinkles, dark circles, dark spots and puffy eyes etc.
Things to do in order to protect your skin are:
- Use sunscreen: exposure to sun’s UV rays over the years declines the production of proteins which are responsible for the elasticity of your skin. Sunlight exposure results in the appearance of wrinkles, as sun rays break down the collagen and elastin in the skin, which reduces the flexibility of the skin, and results in wrinkles. Similarly in the sun the pigment producing cells in the skin begins to produce melanin excessively, which brings on dark spots. As a matter of fact it is strongly proponent to use sunscreen before stepping out in the sun.
- Hydration: keeping your skin hydrated all day long is necessary, as properly hydrated skin looks more healthy, young, plump and glowing. Hydration improves the elasticity of the skin, which helps to fight off wrinkles. For this reason keep yourself hydrated by drinking water on frequent intervals, have water-rich food and apply moisturizer on your skin to keep it’s moisture intact. If act in accordance to these measures, you potentially observe less oily skin, decreasing appearance of acne, less itchy skin.
- Healthy and Balanced Diet: it is indispensable to have a healthy and balanced diet. A healthy diet enhances the production of collagen responsible for soft, plump and blemish-free skin. Beautiful skin begins with the nourishment from within. It is favourable to include antioxidants rich food like green veggies and seasonal fruits, healthy fats and nuts in your daily diet.
- Good sleep: for healthy and glowing skin good night sleep is vital. People spend lavishly to keep their skin intact, but they forget that the simplest and easiest way to foster the skin is just hitting the bed on time and take a nap. Inadequate sleep can cause dark circles, dull skin, wrinkles and swollen eyes like skin issues. As when you sleep, blood flow to the skin increases and skin rebuilds it’s collagen and repairs damages from the sun rays. This process bring down the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
- Follow skin care routine: it is an enriching 3 steps process of cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Cleansing means washing your face with a gentle cleanser, that can remove dirt, excess oil and make up from the skin. After washing comes Toning it is also important to balance skin’s pH level. As it makes skin less prone to oiliness, infractions and gives a smoother appearance. Rose water and aloe vera gel and good natural toners. At last moisturize skin with mild moisturizer. Moisturizer keeps skin hydrated that makes it less itchy and reduces wrinkles.
2. Taking care of Physical and mental health
Just like skin care, physical and mental health care is an invariable aspect when it comes to ageing gracefully as well as youthfully. It’s worthwhile ploughing in physical and mental health care. In order to accomplish this you can take heed to these elementary aspects-
- Keep yourself physically active: keeping yourself physically active can slow down the ageing process. It’s an acclaimed fact that exercise is good for us, but it is also one of the strongest warriors against the toughest aspects of ageing. Being physically active in whatever way suits you as physically active doesn’t mean strenuous physical activity like hitting the gym or running a marathon. Even modest physical activities have rational merits, as long as you follow them on a regular basis. Like if you make it your habit to use stairs instead of elevators, staying active throughout the day, instead of just sitting in one place, keep moving on frequent intervals, and go for morning or evening walks.
- Keep an eye on mental health as well: as both physical and mental health are crucial for overall wellness. It will be preferable to make an effort to keep your brain active. Keep your brain active in picking up new skills. Whatever you wish, whether learning a new language, a new skill or learning to play any musical instrument etc. Stay positive and stay away from stress and anxiety, as depression and anxiety can accelerate cellular ageing. It means cells in your body can no longer reproduce, which causes degeneration of tissues. That’s why paying attention towards mental health is equally important for staying and looking young.
3. Revamp your appearance
Taking care of looks can make you feel good and young. As it’s a well known fact that if you look good, you feel good and confident. Your approach towards life and things become positive. So if you are cautious about your appearance, you can knock a couple of years off your appearance.
- Choose simple and unelaborated designs of apparel.
- Emphasis on your positive traits, your figure and hide your imperfections by styling.
- Be careful while choosing the colours, black, beige and grey shouldn’t dominate the whole appearance.
- Be a little bold to wear accessories. But remember one at a time, don’t over accessorize. Use a bright scarf sometimes over your monochromatic dress, get dressed in an unusual print blouse or skirt.
- Pick prints of the clothes carefully, don’t choose oversized prints, as they make you look larger and older.
- Don’t put on a lot of make-up.
- Always dressed in well fitted apparel, it makes you feel confident
- Smile more often, as when you smile, you feel good and appear more attractive and amiable to others.
- Take care of your hand’s skin too, along with your face, as people could accurately guess your age by looking at your hands.
In this way you not just age gracefully but youthfully also. Always remember ageing gracefully and youthfully doesn’t mean to just look like in your 20’s, but it means enjoying life having physical and mental health to enjoy it.